List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mats Kindahl Date:August 1 2012 12:29pm
Subject:Re: question about the innodb recovery log
View as plain text
On 07/31/2012 05:28 PM, Rich Prohaska wrote:
> Hello,
> The innodb-safe-binlog variable no longer exists, but the binlog
> position is still stuffed into the innodb recovery log.  Using recent
> MySQL versions, does this assist the DBA when running point in time
> recovery?

Hello Rich,

The position is printed on recovery and mainly to assist in provisioning
new slaves. The position can be used to know where to start replication
from, once the backup have been restored on a new slave. It can, as you
noted, also be used for point in time recovery.

To my knowledge, the position is not used anywhere else. In particular,
it is not used when recovering the server from a crash.

Just my few cents,
Mats Kindahl

> Thanks
>
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Hartmut Holzgraefe
> <hartmut.holzgraefe@stripped> wrote:
>>> Why does InnoDB log the binlog position in its recovery log when a
>>> transaction commits?
>> as it needs to find out whether InnoDB state and binlog position are in
>> sync during recovery?
>>
>> See
>>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-options.html#option_mysqld_innodb-safe-binlog
>>
>> --
>> hartmut
>>
>> --

Senior Principal Software Developer
Oracle, MySQL Department

Thread
question about the innodb recovery logRich Prohaska27 Jul
  • Re: question about the innodb recovery logHartmut Holzgraefe27 Jul
    • Re: question about the innodb recovery logRich Prohaska31 Jul
      • Re: question about the innodb recovery logMARK CALLAGHAN31 Jul
      • Re: question about the innodb recovery logMats Kindahl1 Aug
  • Re: question about the innodb recovery logRich Prohaska3 Aug