List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Henrik Ingo Date:February 21 2012 11:42pm
Subject:Re: [Maria-discuss] [debian-mysql] MySQL's future in Debian and Ubuntu
View as plain text
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Axel Schwenke <axel@stripped> wrote:
>> But to put things in context, in MySQL 5.0 series the situation was
>> the opposite: The bugs were public but the publicly released  and GPL
>> licensed bug fixes would be up to 6 months delayd in favor of paying
>> customers getting them instantly. In some ways, the current situation
>> is still better than back then.
>
> This is a very weird statement. Oracle does not release GPL versions more
> often than MySQL AB did. In fact Oracle does not make any promise to ever
> produce GPL bugfix releases. It's completely at their discretion.

See "Community Server" releases in
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/news-5-0-x.html

MySQL AB had a commitment to do a Community release every six months,
it happened that they failed on that commitment and the gaps were
longer.

Since MySQL 5.1 they started releasing Community and Enterprise
releases in sync, every month. This had nothing to do with Oracle, it
was still under Sun watch.

It's perhaps not so relevant to this discussion, though, just some
historical perspective.

> For projects like Debian that build their own binaries and are not dependent
> on complete releases (but rather a stream of patches) the current situation
> with Oracle is clearly a step back.

When 5.1 went GA, we had both the bugs and the fixes, so I agree.

henrik

--
henrik.ingo@stripped
+358-40-8211286 skype: henrik.ingo irc: hingo

My LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=9522559
Thread
Re: [Maria-discuss] [debian-mysql] MySQL's future in Debian and UbuntuHenrik Ingo17 Feb
  • Re: [Maria-discuss] [debian-mysql] MySQL's future in Debian and UbuntuAxel Schwenke17 Feb
    • Re: [Maria-discuss] [debian-mysql] MySQL's future in Debian and UbuntuHenrik Ingo21 Feb