List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:December 27 2011 11:47pm
Subject:re: question about locks with optimize table
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "John" == John Esmet <john.esmet@stripped> writes:

John> Hi Guys,
John> I'm looking to modify mysql to allow a storage engine to run optimize
John> table and have other cilents be able to select/insert/etc. where is a
John> good place to start looking for modifications? I noticed sql_table.cc
John> calls mysql_admin_table for optimize statements, which i assume does
John> the table locking.

Is this for existing or a new storage engine ?

For a new storage engine, this should be done totally inside the
engine and thus should only affect storage engine code.

For existing engines, this is not that trivial as optimize table works
by copying data to another table and then swapping files. This can't
easily be done as long as other insert/selects are running.

Regards,
Monty
Founder of MySQL and MariaDB
Thread
question about locks with optimize tableJohn Esmet15 Dec
  • Re: question about locks with optimize tableJohn Esmet19 Dec
  • re: question about locks with optimize tableMichael Widenius27 Dec
Re: question about locks with optimize tableZardosht Kasheff28 Dec
Re: question about locks with optimize tableMichael Widenius28 Dec
  • Re: question about locks with optimize tableZardosht Kasheff28 Dec
    • Re: question about locks with optimize tableMichael Widenius29 Dec