List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 25 2001 3:33pm
Subject:Re: parallel Mysql ?
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Mauricio" == Mauricio Breternitz <mbjsql@stripped> writes:

Mauricio> As Sasha said, intra-query parallelization is a VERY HARD TASK.

Mauricio> However, even an SMP could take a throughput approach and run
Mauricio> several copies of the MySQL server (would get some parallelism
Mauricio> in the query optimization, etc, stages) before hitting the file system.

Mauricio> Each processor would execute one query completely. Inter-processor
Mauricio> locks are needed to protect the next query from trying to hit
Mauricio> the table before the previous query is finished in another processor

Mauricio> I'm not on an SMP, however the processors share access to the disks.
Mauricio> The throughput approach is still feasible.

Mauricio> Any suggestions at which files should I look into as reasonable place to put

Mauricio> inter-processor locks ?
Mauricio> (I'm currently delving in the sql/*.cc files and looking at things
Mauricio> like open_and_lock_tables ),

If you are just searching after locks, then the place to do this is
mysys/thr_lock.c

When a thread asks for access to a table, it always calls
thr_lock() to get the lock and will execute thr_unlock() when it's ready.

This is even true for BDB tables, but in this case thr_lock() allows
multiple read and write locks at the same time.

Regards,
Monty

Thread
parallel Mysql ?Mauricio Breternitz23 Jan
  • Re: parallel Mysql ?Sasha Pachev23 Jan
    • Re: parallel Mysql ?Russell E Glaue23 Jan
      • Re: parallel Mysql ?Sasha Pachev24 Jan
        • RE: parallel Mysql ?Steven Roussey24 Jan
          • Re: parallel Mysql ?Jeremy D. Zawodny24 Jan
            • Re: parallel Mysql ?Michael Widenius25 Jan
          • Re: parallel Mysql ?Sasha Pachev25 Jan
        • Re: parallel Mysql ?Paul Cadach25 Jan
Re: parallel Mysql ?Mauricio Breternitz24 Jan