List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mats Kindahl Date:August 31 2011 7:05am
Subject:Re: Binlog has bad magic number error
View as plain text
On 08/30/2011 06:21 AM, Kamal O wrote:
> Hi Mats,
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I wonder, what could be the resolution for the error.

There is really no automatic resolution. The magic number can be wrong
because the file is corrupt, in which case you have to repair it, or
because it is not a binlog file (did you accidentally copy another
file on top of the binlog file?)

> Whether it works fine, if slave is restarted pointing to the next
> binlog file, initial position.

Is this a question? You get the magic number error when you start at
the initial position in a binlog file and the magic number is bad. You
can point replication to any binlog file you like, but if you skip
events this way, you will (of course) lose changes done at the master.

The decision if these events can be skipped is a decision you have to
make.

Best wishes,
Mats Kindahl

> Thanks,
> Kamal
>

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Mats Kindahl
> <mats.kindahl@stripped <mailto:mats.kindahl@stripped>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Kamalakar,
>
>     If you get that error, it is simply a bad magic number for the file
>     (this is the 4 first bytes of the file), use hexdump to see that the
>     first bytes are FE 62 69 6E:
>
>        $ hexdump -C -n16 context-bin.000001
>        00000000  fe 62 69 6e 07 a9 53 4e  0f 01 00 00 00 66 00 00
>        |.bin..SN.....f..|
>        00000010
>
>     There is no connection between the latter error and the first
>     one. As
>     a matter of fact, it should not be possible to get the "Can't find
>     record" if the magic number is not correct for the file and the only
>     way I can figure out that could give you the "bad magic" error when
>     skipping events is if the binlog file ends after that and you rotate
>     to a corrupt file.
>
>     Just my few cents,
>     Mats Kindahl
>
>     On 08/19/2011 12:53 PM, Kamalakar Reddy Y wrote:
>     > Thanks! Please help! We are getting the below replication error
>     >
>     > Last_SQL_Errno: 1593 Last_SQL_Error: *Error initializing relay
>     log position:
>     > Binlog has bad magic number;  It's not a binary log file that
>     can be used by
>     > this version of MySQL.*
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Initially we were facing the below error, which we skipped
>     that resulted the
>     > above error.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Last_Error: Could not execute Update_rows event on tables
>     xxxxxxx.zzzzz:
>     > Can't find record in 'zzzzz', Error_code:1032; handle error
>     > HA_ERR_KEY_NOT_FOUND; the event's master log
>     mysql-binlog-LLL01.000683,
>     > end_log_pos 776331958.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Please do help!......
>     >

Thread
bk commit into 4.0 treearjen2 Nov
Re: Binlog has bad magic number errorMats Kindahl31 Aug
  • Re: Binlog has bad magic number errorRick James31 Aug