List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zardosht Kasheff Date:April 16 2011 8:46am
Subject:Re: allowing other threads to write to a table during "create index"
View as plain text
Hello Dmitry,

Do you have any idea when this may be fixed? We would love to get back
to 5.5 to behave like 5.1 for our feature.

Thanks
-Zardosht

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 2:29 AM, Dmitry Lenev <Dmitry.Lenev@stripped> wrote:
> Hello, Zardosht!
>
> * Zardosht Kasheff <zardosht@stripped> [11/04/09 03:43]:
>> In MySQL 5.1, a storage engine can allow other threads to write to a
>> table while an index (via handler::add_index) is being created. To do
>> so, one can set the lock_type to TL_WRITE_ALLOW_WRITE when
>> handler::store_lock is called.
>>
>> In MySQL 5.5, this does not work, because a "metadata lock", or MDL
>> has been added to the system. Is there any way to get this to work in
>> MySQL 5.5?
>
> I don't think it is possible to do this in MySQL 5.5.
> We work on alleviating this issue in future releases.
>
> --
> Dmitry Lenev, Software Developer
> Oracle Development SPB/MySQL, www.mysql.com
>
> Are you MySQL certified?  http://www.mysql.com/certification

Thread
allowing other threads to write to a table during "create index"Zardosht Kasheff9 Apr
  • Re: allowing other threads to write to a table during "createindex"Dmitry Lenev11 Apr
    • Re: allowing other threads to write to a table during "create index"Zardosht Kasheff16 Apr