List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dmitry Lenev Date:March 29 2011 11:46am
Subject:Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or
TABLE_SHARE?
View as plain text
Hello, Zardosht, Sergei!

* Sergei Golubchik <serg@stripped> [11/03/29 10:57]:
> Hi, Zardosht!
>
> On Mar 28, Zardosht Kasheff wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Is there a way for the storage engine to get some sort of byte stream
> > that represents a serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE object?
> > The goal is to save it locally during handler::create and then check
> > its contents (as a sanity check) with the TABLE_SHARE passed in during
> > handler::open.
> >
> > Is this possible? And if it is, is there a way to take this serialized
> > data and print what the table looks like in user readable form?
>
> I'm afraid not.
>
> You can take the generated create table statement, like Stewart
> suggested, or grab the complete frm file, like NDB does. But I think it
> may be possible to construct an ALTER TABLE statement that modifies the
> table definition (frm) only, and your sanity check will fail on the next
> open.

I think the latter approach should work (after all it works for NDB).

In cases when ALTER TABLE statement modifies only table definition (i.e.
only .FRM), we still call handler::ha_create_handler_files() method after
new version of .FRM is installed, in order to inform storage engine about
the fact that .FRM has been changed.

--
Dmitry Lenev, Software Developer
Oracle Development SPB/MySQL, www.mysql.com

Are you MySQL certified?  http://www.mysql.com/certification
Thread
storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Zardosht Kasheff29 Mar
  • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Stewart Smith29 Mar
  • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE orTABLE_SHARE?Sergei Golubchik29 Mar
    • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE orTABLE_SHARE?Dmitry Lenev29 Mar
    • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Stewart Smith30 Mar
Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Zardosht Kasheff29 Mar
  • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Zardosht Kasheff30 Mar
    • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE orTABLE_SHARE?Sergei Golubchik30 Mar
    • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Stewart Smith30 Mar
      • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Zardosht Kasheff30 Mar
        • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Zardosht Kasheff30 Mar
          • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE orTABLE_SHARE?Dmitry Lenev30 Mar
            • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Zardosht Kasheff6 Apr
              • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Jonas Oreland6 Apr
                • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Stewart Smith7 Apr
                  • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Zardosht Kasheff7 Apr
                    • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Stewart Smith8 Apr
  • Re: storage engine access to serialized version of a TABLE or TABLE_SHARE?Stewart Smith30 Mar