List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Davi Arnaut Date:November 5 2010 4:29pm
Subject:Re: Removal of the autotools-based build system
View as plain text
On 11/5/10 11:42 AM, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
> Davi Arnaut<davi.arnaut@stripped>  writes:
>
>> - Do you maintain tools/scripts that rely on autotools-specific files?
>
> In MariaDB, we have an extra makefile target:
>
>      $ make show-dist-name
>      mysql-5.1.51-MariaDB
>
> (This is used eg. by packaging scripts so they don't have to guess the name of
> source tarballs or try to parse configure.in etc).
>
>> - If yes, which files and what kind of information is being extracted?
>
> This is done in Makefile.am as follows:
>
>      show-dist-name:
>              @echo "$(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION)"
>
> Probably there is a way to do something similar for CMake. In any case, some
> easy way to extract this would be useful, probably also apart from MariaDB.

Good idea, although I think some of the tools need the version string
before the make files are generated. Nonetheless, I've added this to the
worklog task.

>> One important aspect is that this removal will break third-party tools
>
> I suppose the main breakage will be all the distros that package mysql. Unless
> there is ./configure emulation that is sufficiently good for package scripts
> not to notice?

There is a ./configure emulation already, but its not perfect and I'm
inclined to remove it. Package related scripts should definitely be made
aware of cmake in order to fully exploit it. Also, otherwise, we would
need to keep updating the emulation script. Another point is that with
cmake there was also a change of install layout, so intervention will be
necessary in any case.

What do you think? Keep or remove?

Regards,

Davi