List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Konstantin Osipov Date:October 8 2010 3:48pm
Subject:Re: [STYLE] bfill and bzero vs memset
View as plain text
* Mats Kindahl <mats.kindahl@stripped> [10/10/08 18:47]:
> On 10/08/2010 02:40 PM, Tor Didriksen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I suggest we remove this recommendation from the style guide:
> >
> >    For example, use |bfill()| and |bzero()| instead of |memset()|.
> >
> > and that we use the standard memset() function.
> >
> > reason: bzero has a number of problems
> >   - bzero does not seem to be well defined, I'm getting this during
> >     MySQL configure on Fedora release 12
> >     config.log:conftest.c:247: warning: conflicting types for built-in
> > function 'bzero'
> >   - on some platforms it is not defined
> >   - on some platforms it is available, but in non-standard places
> >   - it was deprecated by posix 9 years ago
> >   - it is not part of the current posix standard
> >   - http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=55721
> >     where autoconf finds bzero() but the prototype is not visible when
> > compiling, do the build fails
> >
> > Implementation strategy: replace bfill() and bzero() with memset(),
> > merge changes into relevant trees.

Even though I don't agree with some of your arguments, I think
we should do it, just to end this long and useless battle (I doubt
anyone would be so keen to put it back in as some people are
passionate to get rid of it ;)).

[STYLE] bfill and bzero vs memsetTor Didriksen8 Oct
  • Re: [STYLE] bfill and bzero vs memsetMats Kindahl8 Oct
    • Re: [STYLE] bfill and bzero vs memsetKonstantin Osipov8 Oct