List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mats Kindahl Date:September 25 2010 8:07pm
Subject:Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?
View as plain text
On 09/25/2010 03:31 AM, Davi Arnaut wrote:
> On 9/24/10 12:22 PM, Mats Kindahl wrote:
>> In this particular case, we would probably be better off if we could
>> turn on -std=c89, which disallows C++ comments in C code.
>>
>> The downside is that it would of course mean that we have to start
>> writing standards-compliant C code (oh horrors!). :)
>
> I wish that overtime we could focus more on styles and actions, such
> as this, that have more practical consequences. Over time, discussions
> about the cosmetic aspects of coding style tend to get very silly.

Ah, yes... :)

> How about a proposal that new C and C++ code must be
> standards-compliant? That it must compile warning free? etc.

Oh, I would love that, but I wonder how that can be handled practically.
New code in separate files? Rewriting the files one by one?

It would be great if -ansi or -Werror could be enabled on a per-file basis.

> Do you have an idea of how much work is needed to make MySQL compile
> with -std=c89?

Sadly, yes. I did make an attempt to rewrite some aspects I disliked
(the cast of string literals to "char*", it didn't look like much work),
but it turned out to ripple through the code. If we could handle it on a
one-file-at-a-time basis, I think it could be done.

Just my few cents,
Mats Kindahl

> Regards,
>
> Davi

Thread
[STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Guilhem Bichot23 Sep
  • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Joerg Bruehe24 Sep
    • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Mats Kindahl24 Sep
      • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Mark Leith24 Sep
      • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Davi Arnaut25 Sep
        • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Mats Kindahl25 Sep
          • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Davi Arnaut26 Sep
        • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Guilhem Bichot27 Sep
          • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Martin Hansson28 Sep
          • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Davi Arnaut28 Sep
  • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Ingo Struewing24 Sep
  • [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Michael Widenius30 Sep