List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mats Kindahl Date:September 24 2010 3:22pm
Subject:Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?
View as plain text
On 09/24/2010 09:33 AM, Joerg Bruehe wrote:
> Hi Guilhem, all!
>

> To me, your question has both a style and a technical aspect.
>
> Guilhem Bichot wrote:
>
>> [[...]]
>>
>> So the proposal is merely to allow
>> // this is a comment which is alone on its line
>> in C++ code.
>> I'm fine if we continue forbidding
>> // this is
>> // a multi-line
>> // comment
>> and require /* */ instead.
>>

> My technical comment on "//":
>
> The increased use of "//" comments in C++ files raises the risk of using
> them in C files, which will not be rejected by most C compilers
> (including gcc) but will cause compilation failures with IBM C (which we
> use on AIX and i5/os).
>
> We have had several release builds fail because of this, it is simply
> detected too late. So the build team has to fix it, push, and start a
> rebuild. Considering that AIX and i5os are not our fastest platforms and
> that we might not detect the failure immediately, the delay may be
> significant.
>
> I would prefer not to use "//" at all, just to avoid that it might
> become a habit which then affects C files.

In this particular case, we would probably be better off if we could
turn on -std=c89, which disallows C++ comments in C code.

The downside is that it would of course mean that we have to start
writing standards-compliant C code (oh horrors!). :)

> My style comment (includes technical reasoning):
>
> For multi-line comments, my preference would be
>    /*
>     * the real comment
>     * maybe several lines
>     */
> so that a commented code line returned by "grep" does not look like
> active code. (I have been bitten several times by this when checking
> MySQL code: a variable looked like being used when in fact all use was
> already turned into comments.)
> However, this style differs from current MySQL conventions so I will not
> pursue this myself (but would support others who feel similar).

I'm used to this comment style for multi-line comments as well and would
prefer it for the reason you give.

Just my few cents,
Mats Kindahl

Thread
[STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Guilhem Bichot23 Sep
  • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Joerg Bruehe24 Sep
    • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Mats Kindahl24 Sep
      • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Mark Leith24 Sep
      • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Davi Arnaut25 Sep
        • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Mats Kindahl25 Sep
          • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Davi Arnaut26 Sep
        • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Guilhem Bichot27 Sep
          • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Martin Hansson28 Sep
          • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Davi Arnaut28 Sep
  • Re: [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Ingo Struewing24 Sep
  • [STYLE] could we allow // for comments alone on their line?Michael Widenius30 Sep