List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Weldon Whipple Date:September 15 2010 5:21pm
Subject:Seeking command syntax feedback (Still Re: Per-db binlogging)
View as plain text
I'm in the process of reworking the per-DB binlogging that I mentioned
a few days ago. Because my project is now focusing on creating one
binary log per database (rather than for all databases owned by a
user), I've tried several syntaxes and have come up with the following
possibilities. I would appreciate any feedback, especially if these
are in conflict with any SQL conventions, taboos, etc. I have modified
sql/sql_yacc.yy to work with them:

1. START BINLOG FOR DATABASE dbname;

(Is BINLOG appropriate? Should it be BINLOGGING?)
This is the command that starts writing a binlog for the specified database.

2. FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK FOR DATABASE dbname;

(I just added an optional 'FOR DATABASE dbname' to the already
existing command--which still works, BTW. Is this a misuse of the word
"FOR"?)
This is the command that locks the tables before someone (some
program) dumps/copies the tables that will be moved to another server.
It flushes and locks only one database. (Should it support more than
one?)

3. SHOW DATABASE BINLOG STATUS;

This will show each database for which binlogging is turned on, giving
the current binlog coordinates (file name and position.
I patterned it somewhat after the userstatv2 modifications. You can
add "like 'pattern' at the end to show a subset of the databases
currently being binlogged.

4. UNLOCK DATABASE dbname FOR BINLOG;

(This is analogous to the UNLOCK TABLES command used for global
binlogging. This one unlocks a single database's tables. I can think
of several other possibilities, but this is the most conversational)
This undoes step 2 above.

5. STOP BINLOG FOR DATABASE dbname;

This undoes step 1 and is issued after the database has been
successfully migrated to the destination server.

I'm open to suggestions for modifying the above. Have I forgotten any
obvious functionality?

None of the above add any new lex symbols.

Thanks in advance!

Weldon Whipple
weldon@stripped
Thread
Seeking command syntax feedback (Still Re: Per-db binlogging)Weldon Whipple15 Sep
  • Re: Seeking command syntax feedback (Still Re: Per-db binlogging)Sergei Golubchik15 Sep
    • Re: Seeking command syntax feedback (Still Re: Per-db binlogging)Weldon Whipple16 Sep
      • Re: Seeking command syntax feedback (Still Re: Per-db binlogging)Sergei Golubchik16 Sep
    • Re: Seeking command syntax feedback (Still Re: Per-db binlogging)Konstantin Osipov16 Sep
      • Re: Seeking command syntax feedback (Still Re: Per-db binlogging)Weldon Whipple16 Sep
        • Re: Seeking command syntax feedback (Still Re: Per-db binlogging)Davi Arnaut16 Sep
          • Re: Seeking command syntax feedback (Still Re: Per-db binlogging)Weldon Whipple16 Sep
            • Re: Seeking command syntax feedback (Still Re: Per-db binlogging)Davi Arnaut17 Sep
              • Re: Seeking command syntax feedback (Still Re: Per-db binlogging)Weldon Whipple17 Sep