List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Timour Katchaounov Date:July 30 2010 3:23pm
Subject:Re: post-push emails useless?
View as plain text
Guilhem,

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to do a poll:
> do you think the post-push emails (automatically sent to
> commits@stripped when you do "bzr push") should be disabled
> for Server trees?

I have found these useful, because this the only publicly
sent patch to some mailing list that actually states what is
being pushed. There usually are many commits for the same bug
fix or feature, often one commit slightly different from another,
so the post-push mails contain the real thing.

It is rarely useful for daily work, but it is a public searchable
archive.

Of course, if you want to make less visible the work being done
internally in the MySQL server team, you should disable post-push
emails.

Timour

> I wasn't involved when they were implemented in our mysql_plugins bzr
> plugin.
> To me they are useless, I never look at mine or others'. I find
> that generating them takes a lot of time when pushing a big
> merge, and anyway big merge means big mail which commits@lists rejects
> due to a size limit.
> They don't work with "bzr push --overwrite" (produce an error).
> We didn't have them when we used BitKeeper.
>
> If we want to disable them, it means removing the post_push_to line
> from .bzr-mysql/default.conf in main and/or team trees.
>
> Opinions, anyone?
>
> Thank you.

Thread
post-push emails useless?Guilhem Bichot29 Jul
  • Re: post-push emails useless?Stewart Smith29 Jul
    • RE: post-push emails useless?Vladislav Vaintroub29 Jul
  • Re: post-push emails useless?Harrison Fisk29 Jul
    • Re: post-push emails useless?Stewart Smith29 Jul
  • Re: post-push emails useless?Timour Katchaounov30 Jul
    • Re: post-push emails useless?Konstantin Osipov30 Jul
  • Re: post-push emails useless?Kristian Nielsen30 Jul
  • Re: post-push emails useless?Mats Kindahl4 Aug
  • conclusions [Re: post-push emails useless?]Guilhem Bichot9 Aug
    • Re: conclusions [Re: post-push emails useless?]Konstantin Osipov10 Aug
      • Re: conclusions [Re: post-push emails useless?]Guilhem Bichot10 Aug