List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zardosht Kasheff Date:May 11 2010 11:23am
Subject:Re: HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE and row based replication
View as plain text
Hello Mats and Sergei,

Thank for responding to my question. I will file a bug. The bug seems
to be the following. As Mats said, the flag means "I'm executing a
replace right now, so you can optimize for that if you like." Storage
engines that want to replace the row in the write call (which is what
the name of the flag implies) cannot do so, because replication does
not work.

I do not understand the following statement: "we have no support for
allowing the engine to give this information". I do not see why the
engine needs to provide any information. This is how I thought the
flag should work. If the operation is "replace into" (and there are no
delete triggers on the table), then MySQL calls the storage engine
with HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE. If the write succeeds, the binary log
takes note that an insert with HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE has taken
place. Then, on the slave, an insert is replayed with this flag set.
If the insert fails with a duplicate key error, then the slave should
call an update.

This is how I assumed it would work, and I how I think it should work
(I would be happy to hear other opinions).

Also, other questions:
 - What does the IDEMPOTENT flag mean in this context?
 - What happens if NDB is the master and slave? Does NDB use the flag
to optimize inserts on the master?
 - What about if NDB is the master and MyISAM is the slave? How does
the master behave?

Thanks
-Zardosht