List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zardosht Kasheff Date:April 23 2010 12:25pm
Subject:Re: HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE flag
View as plain text
Hello Sergei,

Thanks for responding. Just to make sure I understand, it is a bug in
the documentation, right?

-Zardosht

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Sergei Golubchik <sergii@stripped> wrote:
> Hi, Zardosht!
>
> On Apr 21, Zardosht Kasheff wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> If I understand correctly, the flag HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE implies
>> that handler::write_row can overwrite existing rows, if a duplicate is
>> found. That is what the comment states, and that is what I heard NDB
>> does in MySQL Cluster. If this is the case, then I assume that
>> handler::write_row returns success even when the row is overwritten.
>>
>> If that is the case, how is this part of the contract honored, as
>> stated by the MySQL 5.1 reference manual
>> (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/replace.html):
>> "The REPLACE statement returns a count to indicate the number of rows
>> affected. This is the sum of the rows deleted and inserted."
>>
>> Is something in my understanding not correct? Because it seems that if
>> handler::write_row silently overwrites an existing row, as
>> HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE seems to allow, then the counts will not be
>> accurate.
>
> Yeah, seems like you're right.
> I think it's a bug.
>
> Regards,
> Sergei

Thread
HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE flagZardosht Kasheff22 Apr
  • Re: HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE flagVenu Kalyan23 Apr
    • Re: HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE flagVenu Kalyan23 Apr
  • Re: HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE flagKonstantin Osipov23 Apr
    • Re: HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE flagKonstantin Osipov23 Apr
Re: HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE flagZardosht Kasheff23 Apr
Re: HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE flagZardosht Kasheff23 Apr
  • Re: HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE flagVenu Kalyan23 Apr
Re: HA_EXTRA_WRITE_CAN_REPLACE flagZardosht Kasheff24 Apr