List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Karthik Gurukuntala Date:March 31 2010 9:05am
Subject:Regarding Makefile in MySQL
View as plain text
Dear All,

    I trying to understand the process of creating the Makefile for MySQL. Now that I
have figured out that changing a variable in one Makefile of the project directory isn't
changing the same in those in the sub-directories, I am unable to understand how to do
the same.

I found this Googling about Makefile :

<quote>
Makefile.am -- a user input file to automake
configure.in -- a user input file to autoconf

autoconf generates configure from configure.in
automake gererates Makefile.in from Makefile.am

configure generates Makefile from Makefile.in
</quote>

I am not really sure about this process. But, however, yes, i did find that when I run
./configure, Makefile is created.

And for MySQL, Makefile.in and configure are found in the extracted source. So, the
'autoxxxx' things are already performed by someone for us.

Now, I want to understand how the Makefile.am is written, configure.in is written and the
tools involved for the same.

Regards,
-Karthik

P.S.: Thanks a ton for the previous queries' replies. They have been of great help.
I dint want to spam the list with thanking messages, so I take this opportunity to thank
all those who promptly replied to my small,silly questions.
Thanks again!

http://in.yahoo.com/
Thread
Regarding Makefile in MySQLKarthik Gurukuntala31 Mar
  • Re: Regarding Makefile in MySQLMats Kindahl31 Mar
  • Re: Regarding Makefile in MySQLIngo Strüwing31 Mar
  • Re: Regarding Makefile in MySQLPatrick Galbraith31 Mar