List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Patrick Galbraith Date:March 24 2010 7:32pm
Subject:Re: MySQL execution
View as plain text
Karthik,

Hi - and yes, it does require an install. If you don't want to install,
just make sure to run it with flags that will allow it to run from
wherever you like. What I did to show you how you can do this from the
directory you compile from:

patg@hanuman:~/mysql-build/maria$ mkdir sql/var
patg@hanuman:~/mysql-build/maria$ ./sql/mysqld --no-defaults
--skip-grant-tables --language=`pwd`/sql/share/english
--basedir=`pwd`/sql --port=33006 --socket=/tmp/mysql_patg.sock
--pid-file=/tmp/mysql_patg.pid --log-error=/tmp/mysql_patg.log
--maria-log-dir-path=/tmp

This makes is so:

* the server doesn't use grant tables for authentication. The only
schema you'll see is information_schema
* the base directory for the server is `pwd`/sql. In the source code,
the characters sets can be found in sql/share/*
* logs, pid files, etc, to /tmp
* Run on non-privileged port

Then to test that I connect:

patg@hanuman:~$ mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -P 33006
Your MySQL connection id is 1
Server version: 5.1.32-maria-beta Source distribution

mysql> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
+--------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Karthik Gurukuntala wrote:
>> --- On Mon, 22/3/10, Patrick Galbraith <patg@stripped>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> From: Patrick Galbraith <patg@stripped>
>>> Subject: Re: MySQL execution
>>> To: "Karthik Gurukuntala" <kgurukuntala@stripped>
>>> Cc: internals@stripped
>>> Date: Monday, 22 March, 2010, 5:10 PM

>>> install, always?

>>> personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/
>>>

>>> Karthik,
>>>
>>> You should example MySQL's options for execution
>>>
>>> "mysqld --help --verbose" and use the proper options
>>>
>> for
>>
>>> your setups.
>>>
>>> For a better situation, I would suggest that if you
>>>
>> are
>>
>>> averse to
>>> installing MySQL system-wide,to at least install
>>>
>> MySQL
>>
>>> locally using
>>> "./configure --prefix=/home/karthik/mysql_testdir"
>>>
>> (chose a
>>
>>> name of your
>>> laking) and run it from there.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>>
>  Doesnt that require 'make install' at that location
>  everytime i re-compile the source with some
>  changes?(Actually am debugging the code to learn some
>  aggregation operations' execution.)
>

> -K
>

>       The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.
> http://in.yahoo.com/

Thread
MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala22 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionPatrick Galbraith22 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionTimour Katchaounov23 Mar
Re: MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala23 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionSergei Golubchik23 Mar
    • Re: MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala23 Mar
      • Re: MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala23 Mar
        • Re: MySQL executionTimour Katchaounov23 Mar
      • Re: MySQL executionSergei Golubchik23 Mar
    • Re: MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala24 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionPhilip Stoev23 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionPatrick Galbraith24 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionMichael Widenius26 Mar
Re: MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala24 Mar