List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Timour Katchaounov Date:March 23 2010 10:28am
Subject:Re: MySQL execution
View as plain text
Karthik,

> how to execute the compiled mysql without make install, always?

Personally I never install MySQL/MariaDB on my work machine.
I have a pair of scripts (one to run the server, one for the
client) that assume a certain location of all databases
(there can be many, e.g. one for each major server version).

Assuming that my databases are under "~/databases" (e.g.
"~/databases/5.3"), and my sources (and BZR repository) are
under "~/src", the server startup script must be run in the
root directory of each source tree.

The server startup script generates the following command:

./sql/mysqld --no-defaults --port=11211
--datadir=/home/<user_name>/databases/5.3
--socket=/home/<user_name>/databases/5.3/mysql.sock
--language=/home/<user_name>/src/5.3-mwl68/sql/share/english
--character-sets-dir=/home/<user_name>/src/5.3-mwl68/sql/share/charsets
--lower-case-table-names=1

Notice that I have chosen by default a non-standard port (11211),
to avoid possible conflicts with a standard MySQL installation.
The option --no-defaults is there so that it is guaranteed that
all options to the server come from my script (and thus the
command line).

Also notice that for versions > 5.1 the language and character
set options are different, check the docs.

Actually, if you want them, I can publish my scripts, let me
know.

Timour
Thread
MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala22 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionPatrick Galbraith22 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionTimour Katchaounov23 Mar
Re: MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala23 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionSergei Golubchik23 Mar
    • Re: MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala23 Mar
      • Re: MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala23 Mar
        • Re: MySQL executionTimour Katchaounov23 Mar
      • Re: MySQL executionSergei Golubchik23 Mar
    • Re: MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala24 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionPhilip Stoev23 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionPatrick Galbraith24 Mar
  • Re: MySQL executionMichael Widenius26 Mar
Re: MySQL executionKarthik Gurukuntala24 Mar