List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:MARK CALLAGHAN Date:March 16 2010 11:41pm
Subject:Re: I want to share, but bzr/launchpad won't let me
View as plain text
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:43 AM, Guilhem Bichot <guilhem@stripped> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> MARK CALLAGHAN a écrit, Le 26.02.2010 22:21:
>>
>> I am trying to publish the Facebook patch for MySQL 5.1. Not knowing
>> that 5.1 releases are tagged in the 5.1 launchpad branch, I started by
>> importing source from mysql-5.1.44.tar.gz and then did one commit per
>> commit from our local git repo. I want to import those commits to a
>> branch I made based on the 5.1.44 tag of the MySQL 5.1 branch in
>> launchpad. Apparently, that isn't trivial as the merge command does
>> way more than apply the specified revision. For the command below
>> '/s/bzr/fb/5.1' is my bzr branch that started from the import of
>> mysql-5.1.44.tar.gz and the command is run in the branch created by
>> "bzr branch -r tag:mysql-5.1.44 5.1 5.1facebook"
>
> Sorry for late reply, I was on vacation. Maybe you have already sorted this
> out with the help of Davi's comments. His explanation about file_id makes
> sense, please see below.
>
> When you imported mysql-5.1.44.tar.gz and committed those files, bzr gave
> them "file ids".
> The id of a file is a unique id which is assigned by bzr at creation time
> (by "bzr add") and not changed through renames ("bzr mv"), and lost forever
> at deletion time ("bzr rm").
> So your configure.in imported from 5.1.44.tar.gz has file id X whereas the
> one in the 5.1 branch on Launchpad has file id Y. So bzr treats them as
> completely unrelated.
>
> You changed configure.in; when this change is merged, bzr issues a conflict
> because propagating the change, to the file in the 5.1-launchpad branch, is
> impossible as that file is distinct from the one in your 5.1.44.tar.gz
> branch (different file id).
> Or, interpreted differently, the file of your 5.1.44.tar.gz branch does not
> exist in 5.1-launchpad (no file with the same file id) so the change to it
> cannot be propagated.
>
> That explains well "Contents conflict in configure.in" and the same for the
> other file touched by the patch.
>
> The fact that other files, not touched by the patch, like the "BUILD"
> directory, cause conflicts, is a mystery. It looks in contradiction with
> "bzr help merge":
>  -c ARG, --change=ARG  Select changes introduced by the specified
> revision.
>
> I repeated the problem on my machine, with bzr 2.1 and 1.17, with "bzr
> merge" and "bzr merge --weave", and also with "bzr merge -r1..2".
>
> If you haven't already filed a bzr bug report about this, let me know, and I
> will.
>
> Going forward, the quick solution is probably to throw away your
> 5.1.44-tar-gz branch, get a 5.1-launchpad branch, apply your patches, and
> publish that.

Hello Guilhem,

Thanks for the response. I ended up starting over and applying one
patch at a time to a branch that was started as a branch of MySQL 5.1
in launchpad. Now I can stay current with changes published by MySQL.

I did not file a bzr bug.

--
Mark Callaghan
mdcallag@stripped
          • Re: I want to share, but bzr/launchpad won't let meGuilhem Bichot5 Mar
            • Re: I want to share, but bzr/launchpad won't let meJonas Oreland5 Mar
  • Re: I want to share, but bzr/launchpad won't let meGuilhem Bichot5 Mar
    • Re: I want to share, but bzr/launchpad won't let meMARK CALLAGHAN17 Mar