List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zardosht Kasheff Date:March 2 2010 11:13pm
Subject:Re: unique_checks and InnoDB primary key
View as plain text
I see. I understand that the insert buffer is used for unique
secondary keys when unique_checks is set to 0.

Now what about the primary key? Is the insert buffer used for the
primary key when unique_checks is set to 0?

Thanks
-Zardosht

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Sunny Bains <Sunny.Bains@stripped> wrote:
> Zardosht,
>
> On 03/03/2010, at 9:47 AM, Zardosht Kasheff wrote:
>
>> Then what does one gain by setting unique_checks to 0 and using InnoDB?
>>

> Sorry, I misunderstood the question. You wanted to know if  unique_checks == 0
> for the transaction then would InnoDB still use the insert buffer for unique
> secondary
> indexes. I answered the case for the default setting. If you want to ignore the
> unique
> check then yes it will use the insert buffer. The whole point of the insert buffer
> is
> to reduce IO and be able to translate from random IO to sequential IO. In the
> default
> setting we would have to bring the page into the buffer pool to check (if it's not
> already
> there) for dup keys defeating the purpose of the insert buffer. The insert buffer is
> only used for pages that are not already in the buffer pool.
>

>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Sunny Bains <Sunny.Bains@stripped>
> wrote:
>>> Zardosht,

>>> Unique secondary keys cannot use the insert buffer.  Also, he insert
> buffer
>>> is not used for primary keys at all.  The insert buffer is only used
> for
>>> non-unique secondary indexes.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> -sunny
>>>

> Regards,
> -sunny
Thread
unique_checks and InnoDB primary keyZardosht Kasheff2 Mar
  • Re: unique_checks and InnoDB primary keySunny Bains2 Mar
    • Re: unique_checks and InnoDB primary keyZardosht Kasheff2 Mar
      • Re: unique_checks and InnoDB primary keySunny Bains3 Mar
        • Re: unique_checks and InnoDB primary keyZardosht Kasheff3 Mar
          • Re: unique_checks and InnoDB primary keySunny Bains3 Mar
            • Re: unique_checks and InnoDB primary keyZardosht Kasheff3 Mar
        • Re: unique_checks and InnoDB primary keyRick James4 Mar
          • Re: unique_checks and InnoDB primary keyVenu Kalyan4 Mar
            • Re: unique_checks and InnoDB primary keyRick James26 Jul