List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergey Vojtovich Date:February 25 2010 6:55pm
Subject:Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEY
View as plain text
Hi Zardosht,

I believe this is rather a fragile solution. I can think about problems
at least with counters, wrong auto_increment. Also triggers will get
processed for this non-inserted record.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of optimization you're trying to
achieve?

Regards,
Sergey

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 01:20:12PM -0500, Zardosht Kasheff wrote:
> Ok, so if I understand this correctly, the following if clause:
>
> thd->lex->ignore && thd->lex->duplicates == SQL_ERROR
>
> if it evaluates to true, I can assume that the user is doing "insert ignore".
>
> How I plan to use this is as follows. Suppose I have a table, (a int,
> b int, primary key (a)), that has the element (1,1) inserted.
>
> Given the following statements:
> insert ignore into table values (2,2), (1,2);
> select * from table;
>
> The expected result of the select * is to return (1,1),(2,2). The
> insert will make two calls to handler::write_row. For (2,2),
> handler::write_row will insert the element, and return success. With
> other storage engines, for (1,2), handler::write_row will insert
> nothing and return HA_ERR_FOUND_DUPP_KEY. What my change will do is
> still insert nothing, but instead of returning HA_ERR_FOUND_DUPP_KEY,
> it will return success.
>
> I assume there is nothing wrong with this?
>
> Thanks
> -Zardosht
>
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Venu Kalyan <mydb08@stripped> wrote:
> > Hi !
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Zardosht Kasheff <zardosht@stripped>
> wrote:
> >> But does this distinguish the commands "insert ignore" and "insert on
> >> duplicate key update"?
> >
> > Actually its contrary and unknown behavior even though MySQL allows
> > the synax to use IGNORE and ON DUPLICATE KEY / REPLACE together in
> > single statement, and it should in general through an error when used
> > together as server does not which one to prefer.
> >
> > In this case (Ignore and ON DUPLICATE KEY together in single insert)
> > ON DUPLICATE KEY takes precedence in the code due to the following
> > condition..
> >
> > if (duplic != DUP_ERROR || ignore)
> >      table->file->extra(HA_EXTRA_NO_IGNORE_DUP_KEY);
> >
> > For your case;  you can validate this using :
> >
> > if (thd->lex->ignore && thd->lex->duplicates == SQL_ERROR)
> {
> >  // safe to ignore my dups
> > }
> >
> > if (thd->lex->ignore && thd->lex->duplicates != SQL_ERROR)
> {
> > // used ignore together with IGNORE and ON KEY DUPLICATE / REPLACE
> > statements, I will decide what needs to be done here
> [...]

Sergey Vojtovich <svoj@stripped>
MySQL AB, Software Engineer
Izhevsk, Russia, www.mysql.com
Thread
question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYZardosht Kasheff12 Feb
  • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYZardosht Kasheff17 Feb
    • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYZardosht Kasheff23 Feb
      • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYVenu Kalyan24 Feb
Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYZardosht Kasheff24 Feb
  • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYVenu Kalyan24 Feb
    • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYZardosht Kasheff24 Feb
      • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYVenu Kalyan24 Feb
        • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYZardosht Kasheff25 Feb
      • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYSergey Vojtovich25 Feb
        • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYZardosht Kasheff25 Feb
          • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYSergei Golubchik26 Feb
          • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYSergey Vojtovich26 Feb
            • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYZardosht Kasheff26 Feb
              • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYSergey Vojtovich2 Mar
                • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYZardosht Kasheff2 Mar
                  • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYSergey Vojtovich2 Mar
                    • Re: question on HA_EXTRA_IGNORE_DUP_KEYMichael Widenius19 Mar
                      • Configure error during the buildHiromichi Watari21 Mar
                        • Re: Configure error during the buildMikiya Okuno21 Mar
                          • Re: Configure error during the buildHiromichi Watari22 Mar