List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Giuseppe Maxia Date:February 17 2010 6:32pm
Subject:Re: Version changed in configure.in
View as plain text

Timothy Smith wrote:
> Hi, Giuseppe,
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 09:35:37AM +0100, Giuseppe Maxia wrote:
>> AC_INIT([MySQL Server], [x.x.xx], [], [mysql])
>>
>> Since I parse this script for purposes other than building the server, is
>> there a place where such changes are advertised/discussed?
>
> That's a good question.  There was discussion on a team mailing
> list, but that's not really suitable for what you're talking about.
>
> One part of me wants to say that such changes will happen *very* rarely,
> so making some kind of plan for how to communicate the next one is
> probably not very meaningful.  But that won't improve the situation.
>
> One idea is to make a simple program (support-files/report-version.sh),
> which could be used by tools that need to get the MySQL version from the
> source tree.  Probably it would be a single sed command or similar.
> That would work for platforms that have sh and sed.
>
> Another approach is to add a comment to configure.in like:
>
> dnl Various people throughout the community may parse configure.in to
> dnl get the MySQL version from the source branch.  If the formatting
> dnl of this line is going to be changed, please announce the change to
> dnl internals@stripped in advance of pushing the change.
>
> Probably that last approach is the best.
>
> Regards,
>
> Timothy

Timothy,
Your proposals makes sense. Could you implement it?
Thanks

Giuseppe

--
Giuseppe Maxia, MySQL Community Team Lead
Sun Microsystems, www.mysql.com
      • Re: Version changed in configure.inSergei Golubchik17 Feb
        • Re: Version changed in configure.inGiuseppe Maxia17 Feb
    • Re: Version changed in configure.inSergey Petrunya17 Feb
  • Thank you [Re: Version changed in configure.in]Ingo Strüwing17 Feb
    • Re: Thank you [Re: Version changed in configure.in]Giuseppe Maxia17 Feb
  • Re: Version changed in configure.inTimothy Smith17 Feb
    • Re: Version changed in configure.inGiuseppe Maxia17 Feb