List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:February 10 2010 5:26pm
Subject:re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful in binary packages?
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Joerg" == Joerg Bruehe <Joerg.Bruehe@stripped> writes:

Joerg> Hi everybody!
Joerg> In the context of a cleanup in our build scripts, especially the "spec"
Joerg> files for RPMs, I have come across the "sql-bench" subtree.

Joerg> Until MySQL version 5.0, it was possible to do
Joerg>     configure ... --without-bench ...
Joerg> and to exclude that subtree from binary packages, and this was used in
Joerg> many configurations.

Joerg> In version 5.1, this option was removed, and "sql-bench" is now always
Joerg> mentioned in "Makefile.am". An associated comment from a changeset done
Joerg> on 2009-Nov-29 by Mr. Widenius reads
Joerg>     Added back sql-bench directory, so that one can more easily run
Joerg>     benchmarks on a server and add new benchmarks for new optimizations

Sorry, when I added thinks back, I missed to add back the
--without-sql-bench option.

Joerg> However, "sql-bench" was not changed, its "README" still says
Joerg>     These tests require a MySQL version of at least 3.20.28 or 3.21.10.
Joerg>     Currently the following servers are supported:
Joerg>     MySQL 3.20 and 3.21, PostgreSQL 6.#, mSQL 2.# and Solid Server 2.2
>> From checking the Bazaar history, I cannot see any recent contents
Joerg> change in that subtree - just maintenance of license text (GPL v2) or
Joerg> Perl path.

Most of the new changes for sql-bench is nowadays happening in the
MariaDB tree.

Joerg> As this benchmark and system comparison part hasn't really been updated
Joerg> for quite some time, I guess it may be obsolete for all users of current
Joerg> versions:
Joerg> 1) I would like to re-introduce that configure option "--without-bench".

This is good.

Joerg> 2) I propose to use it when building any binary package, because the
Joerg>    reference data in that subtree are just old.

Joerg> This does not mean to remove it from sources, just from binaries.

Joerg> I would like to get your comments about this.

It's true that the comparisons results are not very usable anymore,
but the sql-bench test is still a very good test to include:

- It's tests totally different things than mysql-test-run
- It can be used to very fast test for regression in base code.
  (We plan to make this part of our build system to test for
   regression and I suggest you do the same!)
- It's also very easy to use for end users as a base to do a fast test
  of the speed of some specific feature and how different options
  affects this.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful in binarypackages?Joerg Bruehe9 Feb
  • RE: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful inbinary packages?Vladislav Vaintroub9 Feb
    • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful inbinary packages?Joerg Bruehe9 Feb
  • re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful in binary packages?Michael Widenius10 Feb
    • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful in binary packages?MARK CALLAGHAN10 Feb
      • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful inbinary packages?Sergei Golubchik10 Feb
      • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful in binary packages?Michael Widenius11 Feb
        • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful inbinary packages?Patrick Galbraith11 Feb
          • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful inbinary packages?Michael Widenius10 Mar
            • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful in binary packages?Brian Aker10 Mar
              • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful in binary packages?Hakan Kuecuekyilmaz14 Apr
                • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful in binary packages?Brian Aker14 Apr
                • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful inbinary packages?Konstantin Osipov14 Apr
                  • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful inbinary packages?Stewart Smith15 Apr
                    • Re: Cleanup proposal: Is the "sql-bench" subtree still useful in binary packages?Hakan Kuecuekyilmaz15 Apr