List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:December 22 2009 7:38am
Subject:re: system_charset_info
View as plain text
Hi!

Yan> Dear Mysql experts,
Yan>      I just started working on MySql source code at Facebook.
Yan> I hope you could help shed some light on one question I have:

Yan> I am working on MySQL 5.138:
Yan>     I am changing system_charset_info in sql/mysqld.cc from
Yan> system_charset_info= &my_charset_utf8_general_ci;
Yan> to:
Yan> system_charset_info= &my_charset_latin1;

Yan> and this change seems having broken many tests in mysql-test-run.
Yan> As part of this investigation, we have found one bug in mysql source
Yan> code and
Yan> one test case in which the test writer did not consider the case where
Yan> system_charset_info could be something other than
Yan> my_charset_utf8_general_ci, e.g., my_charset_latin1, where a char is
Yan> represented by a single byte.
Yan> There are still many other broken test cases that we need to
Yan> investigate.

What is the bug ?

Yan> My Q is:
Yan> have anyone tried to change system_charset_info in sql/mysqld.cc and
Yan> what is your experience? what changes you need to make in order to
Yan> make all the included test suites pass?

I don't think this has been considered;  At least it's clear that while
writing test for the test suite, this was never considered.

Yan> Any pointers on what this change may break is also very appreciated!
Yan> Best,

I would expect that most, if not all things should work even if you
change the character set.

Most errors in this case should mainly be in the test suite.

If you run mysql-test-run --force and examine the results, ignoring
errors in the test suite, you should be able to get some assurance
that your change works.

Regards,
Monty
Check out MariaDB at http://mariadb.com
Thread
system_charset_infoYan Yu20 Dec
  • re: system_charset_infoMichael Widenius22 Dec
  • Re: system_charset_infoAlexander Barkov23 Dec
Re: system_charset_infoMichael Widenius22 Dec
  • RE: system_charset_infoYan Yu23 Dec
  • Re: system_charset_infoAlexander Barkov23 Dec
    • Re: system_charset_infoYan Yu24 Dec