List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergei Golubchik Date:November 12 2009 10:05pm
Subject:Re: Cross-platform build with CMake
View as plain text
Hi, Kristian!

On Nov 12, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
> Vladislav Vaintroub <wlad@stripped> writes:
>
> I seems to me that having a single build system outweights this
> disadvantage. But it is something to keep in mind once the switch to
> only CMake is made; one should then be somewhat conservative with
> requiring new versions of CMake, so that the required version is
> easily available also on older Linux distributions eg.

Linux shouldn't be a problem - most distributions already either install
cmake or allow to install it easily - for kde and other software that
requires it.

Various proprietary unixes could be more of an issue. Especially older
ones. But hopefully not.

> One suggestion would be to use the ./configure style options to be
> more similar with the existing build system.

I was thinking, we could have a shell script called - surprise! -
configure, that accepts configure style options, transforms them into
cmake style options and invokes cmake. Not autoconf generated configure,
just simple "loop over all parameters, uppercase them, s/-/_/, and put
into -D cmake command line".

Regards / Mit vielen Grüßen,
Sergei

--
Cross-platform build with CMakeVladislav Vaintroub12 Nov