List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul McCullagh Date:November 11 2009 10:58am
Subject:Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?
View as plain text
On Nov 9, 2009, at 7:36 PM, Sergei Golubchik wrote:

> Hi, MARK!
>
> On Nov 09, MARK CALLAGHAN wrote:
>>
>> Is the infrastructure that keeps InnoDB and the binlog in sync after
>> crash recovery also available to other storage engines? Without that
>> support, I wouldn't consider using anything other than InnoDB on a
>> master.
>
> Yes.
> If an engine supports XA it'll be part of two phase commit and will be
> always in sync with binlog and other XA-capable engines involved in
> the
> transaction.
>
> But the part of XA that is only enabled *without* binlog is poorly
> tested.  That is if there's more than one XA-capable engine and binlog
> is off - there will be dragons.

And what makes me think that they are big and black is that when I
recently implemented XA in PBXT I ran straight into an assertion
failure in MySQL 5.1.35:

Line 1579, handler.cc:

DBUG_ASSERT(total_ha_2pc == (ulong) opt_bin_log+1); // only InnoDB and
binlog

(as reported in this bug: http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=47134)

I guess I should actually now check if XA and the binlog work with
PBXT, but I have not done this yet...

> Regards / Mit vielen Grüßen,
> Sergei
>
> --
>   __  ___     ___ ____  __
>  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /   Sergei Golubchik <serg@stripped>
> / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__  Principal Software Engineer/Server
> Architect
> /_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/  Sun Microsystems GmbH, HRB München
> 161028
>       <___/                  Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-
> Heimstetten
> Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Häring

how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Zardosht Kasheff9 Nov
  • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Sergei Golubchik9 Nov
    • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Mats Kindahl9 Nov
  • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Mats Kindahl9 Nov
    • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?MARK CALLAGHAN9 Nov
      • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Sergei Golubchik9 Nov
        • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?MARK CALLAGHAN9 Nov
          • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Sergei Golubchik9 Nov
            • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Ann W. Harrison9 Nov
              • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Zardosht Kasheff9 Nov
                • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Sergei Golubchik9 Nov
                • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Ann W. Harrison9 Nov
        • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Paul McCullagh11 Nov
  • RE: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Thomas Jones-Low9 Nov