List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:MARK CALLAGHAN Date:November 9 2009 5:47pm
Subject:Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?
View as plain text
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Mats Kindahl <mats@stripped> wrote:
> Hi Zardosht,
>
> Normally, the storage engine does not have to do anything special to support
> replication. The flags you mention are basically only there so that a storage
> engine can *prevent* certain kinds of replication that will not work (it is
> common that MVCC engines does not support statement-based replication in some
> situations).
>
> Sergei showed an example where InnoDB does not work, and for Falcon it is
> generally the case that it does not support statement-based replication (because
> it is a "pure" MVCC engine).
>
> The contract is different in statement-based replication and row-based
> replication. For statement-based replication the statement will simply be logged
> after the storage engine has successfully finished updating the tables, for
> row-based replication, a packed version of the record(s) sent to the storage
> engine is written to the binary log on a successful write/delete/update.

Is the infrastructure that keeps InnoDB and the binlog in sync after
crash recovery also available to other storage engines? Without that
support, I wouldn't consider using anything other than InnoDB on a
master.

--
Mark Callaghan
mdcallag@stripped
      • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Sergei Golubchik9 Nov
        • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?MARK CALLAGHAN9 Nov
          • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Sergei Golubchik9 Nov
            • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Ann W. Harrison9 Nov
              • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Zardosht Kasheff9 Nov
                • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Sergei Golubchik9 Nov
                • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Ann W. Harrison9 Nov
        • Re: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Paul McCullagh11 Nov
  • RE: how does one know if their storage engine supports replication?Thomas Jones-Low9 Nov