List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Pipes Date:October 20 2009 3:47pm
Subject:Re: Coding style committee [Re: [style] Proposal for include guard
naming and usage]
View as plain text
Ingo Strüwing wrote:
> Hi Jay,
>
> Jay Pipes, 20.10.2009 15:51:

>> You may also want to contact:
>>
>>  Paul McCullagh
>>  Jim Starkey
>>  Monty Widenius
>>  Rick James
>>  Calvin Sun or Heikki at Oracle
>>  folks at Tokutek, Calpont, Infobright, etc
>
> Thank you very much for the list.
>
> However it still leaves open, how exactly to form a community vote. The
> last time, we made a decision, we identified the major teams working on
> the server. Each team entitled a representative for a vote in the
> committee. The representative was expected to discuss the topics within
> the team and come to the meeting with a team vote. I wonder, how the
> community can be involved in this procedure, or if a new procedure might
> serve the purpose better.
>
> I believe, I've seen network voting before, but I don't know details.
> After an announcement there was a time frame during which votes were
> accepted. But I don't know, how voters have been selected. This all must
> be done transparently, while protecting personal data.

Hi!  There are a number of options for collecting votes.  Personally, I
think just throwing stuff out onto the mailing list(s) and have people
vote by posting to the ML is the most effective and transparent way to
do things.  I don't really think that protecting personal data is too
much of a concern on stuff like style preference, etc...but that's just
my opinion :)

For what it's worth, this has worked pretty well over in our Drizzle
playground.

> This might all be too much effort for a relative small issue. But facing
> the enraged protest last time, I'd rather see this be done correctly.

Agreed, and that's why I posted the list of names above: to be notified
of a post to the mailing list about stuff on which they can vote by
replying to the post.  Perhaps the outrage from before was just the
feeling that people weren't notified of a vote?  Not sure since I follow
this mailing list pretty closely :)

Cheers, and kudos for being transparent and bringing these things up on
the mailing lists!

Jay
Thread
[style] Proposal for include guard naming and usageMats Kindahl2 Oct
  • Re: [style] Proposal for include guard naming and usageKristian Nielsen2 Oct
    • Re: [style] Proposal for include guard naming and usageMats Kindahl2 Oct
      • Re: [style] Proposal for include guard naming and usageMats Kindahl19 Oct
        • Re: [style] Proposal for include guard naming and usageIngo Strüwing19 Oct
          • Re: [style] Proposal for include guard naming and usageMats Kindahl19 Oct
            • Coding style committee [Re: [style] Proposal for include guard namingand usage]Ingo Strüwing19 Oct
              • Re: Coding style committee [Re: [style] Proposal for include guardnaming and usage]Mats Kindahl20 Oct
                • Re: Coding style committee [Re: [style] Proposal for include guardnaming and usage]Jay Pipes20 Oct
                  • Re: Coding style committee [Re: [style] Proposal for include guardnaming and usage]Ingo Strüwing20 Oct
                    • Re: Coding style committee [Re: [style] Proposal for include guardnaming and usage]Jay Pipes20 Oct