List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeremy D. Zawodny Date:January 24 2001 7:11pm
Subject:Re: parallel Mysql ?
View as plain text
On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:04:36AM -0800, Steven Roussey wrote:

I'm not sure that this discussion belongs here anymore, so I'll set
the reply-to and hope the list software respects it.

> What about scaling read _and_ write performance? Is there a plan for
> allowing multiple master replication, or some other method of
> clustering?

Well, you can do that today (sort of) with 2-way replication, but that
depends on your implementation. The biggest issue, of course, is how
to resolve conflicts. Ideally there could be some user-supplied logic
to do that (maybe an add on foo.so can be used--in the same way that
you can build a UDF today and tell the server about it).

> Also related is how do we provide failover? If one machine goes down
> and repliction is active, then the slave can become the
> failover. But how do we bring the other server backup and take over
> master status?

Isn't that what the first entry here:

    http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/O/TODO_future.html

is about?

Obviously it doesn't hint at the actual implementation. And I'm sure
several of us would like to understand it once it is figured out. It
has come up more than once in recent discussions here. We have folks
wondering how it will fit in with the way we'd like to see fail-over
work.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <jzawodn@stripped>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance
Desk: (408) 328-7878    Fax: (408) 530-5454
Cell: (408) 439-9951
Thread
parallel Mysql ?Mauricio Breternitz23 Jan
  • Re: parallel Mysql ?Sasha Pachev23 Jan
    • Re: parallel Mysql ?Russell E Glaue23 Jan
      • Re: parallel Mysql ?Sasha Pachev24 Jan
        • RE: parallel Mysql ?Steven Roussey24 Jan
          • Re: parallel Mysql ?Jeremy D. Zawodny24 Jan
            • Re: parallel Mysql ?Michael Widenius25 Jan
          • Re: parallel Mysql ?Sasha Pachev25 Jan
        • Re: parallel Mysql ?Paul Cadach25 Jan
Re: parallel Mysql ?Mauricio Breternitz24 Jan