List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergei Golubchik Date:July 3 2009 2:09pm
Subject:Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458
View as plain text
Hi, Zardosht!

On Jun 25, Zardosht Kasheff wrote:

> This is a feature request that adds grammar for "clustering" indexes.
> Users can define an index to be clustering (include all of the columns
> in the index), and as a result, a flag is passed into the handler via
> a flag. It is up to the storage engine to properly implement it.
> Storage engines that choose to not implement it can simply ignore the
> flag.
>
> I am interested to hear feedback on this feature and patch. Here is
> the link:
>
> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=45458

I don't have anything in particular against this patch, besides the fact
that I'd rather avoid extending the grammar indefinitely for every
storage engine.

A generic approach would be better, something like Sanja's patch that
Monty was referring to. The goal of it was about allowing storage
engines to extend CREATE TABLE with arbitrary attributes - keyword=value
pairs - per table, per column, and per index. Not as general as
arbitrary syntax extensions in arbitrary places, but also much simpler.

The engine would only need to specify the names of the attributes and
their types (similar to my_getopt), like "PAGE_FILL_FACTOR, per table,
floating point, in the 0..1 range; CLUSTERED, boolean, per index" etc.

Regards / Mit vielen Grüßen,
Sergei

--
feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff25 Jun