List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zardosht Kasheff Date:July 3 2009 3:09pm
Subject:Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458
View as plain text
 In principle, I agree. The one thing I would like to point out here
is that I think this is a feature that multiple storage engines may
want to implement over time. I do not think of this as a
storage-engine specific grammar extension. If multiple engines choose
to implement this, they will need to duplicate the work of extending
create table (and alter table) with the necessary attributes. I am not
familiar with Sanja's patch, so maybe that is a cheap and acceptable
cost.

-Zardosht

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Sergei Golubchik<serg@stripped> wrote:
> Hi, Zardosht!
>
> On Jun 25, Zardosht Kasheff wrote:
>>
>> This is a feature request that adds grammar for "clustering" indexes.
>> Users can define an index to be clustering (include all of the columns
>> in the index), and as a result, a flag is passed into the handler via
>> a flag. It is up to the storage engine to properly implement it.
>> Storage engines that choose to not implement it can simply ignore the
>> flag.
>>
>> I am interested to hear feedback on this feature and patch. Here is
>> the link:
>>
>> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=45458
>
> I don't have anything in particular against this patch, besides the fact
> that I'd rather avoid extending the grammar indefinitely for every
> storage engine.
>
> A generic approach would be better, something like Sanja's patch that
> Monty was referring to. The goal of it was about allowing storage
> engines to extend CREATE TABLE with arbitrary attributes - keyword=value
> pairs - per table, per column, and per index. Not as general as
> arbitrary syntax extensions in arbitrary places, but also much simpler.
>
> The engine would only need to specify the names of the attributes and
> their types (similar to my_getopt), like "PAGE_FILL_FACTOR, per table,
> floating point, in the 0..1 range; CLUSTERED, boolean, per index" etc.
>
> Regards / Mit vielen Grüßen,
> Sergei
>
> --
>   __  ___     ___ ____  __
>  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /   Sergei Golubchik
> <serg@stripped>
>  / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__  Principal Software Engineer/Server Architect
> /_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/  Sun Microsystems GmbH, HRB München
> 161028
>       <___/
>  Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
> Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Häring

Thread
feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff25 Jun
  • re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Michael Widenius28 Jun
    • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff28 Jun
    • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Brian Aker28 Jun
    • Re: [Maria-developers] feedback/review requested for fix to MySQLbug #45458Sergei Golubchik4 Jul
  • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Sergei Golubchik4 Jul
    • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Kristian Nielsen4 Jul
      • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff4 Jul
Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff3 Jul