List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Alex Esterkin Date:July 1 2009 4:03am
Subject:Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefs
View as plain text
Have you considered how much extra work and headache a change like
this will bring to the community?  Evolution of particular features,
functions, and files will become impossible to trace, numerous partner
libraries will break, etc.

Do you also plan on changing class names?  For example, rename THD
into  Thd, rename sql_exchange into Sql_exchange, etc?

Regards,
Alex Esterkin

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Tor Didriksen<Tor.Didriksen@stripped> wrote:
> hi
>
> "Structure types are typedef'ed to an all-upper-case identifier."
> Can someone explain the reasoning behind this?
> ALL_UPPERCASE_NAME says DANGEROUS_THIS_IS_A_MACRO to me, rather than
> struct/class.
>
> typedef struct foo { ... } FOO;
> Is legacy C-style, and does not belong in a C++ style guide (imho).
>
> Roy had an email about this:
> http://lists.mysql.com/internals/36570
> I could find no objections to his mail, the thread simply died.
>
> -- didrik

MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen22 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius24 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen25 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl25 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes27 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen29 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl29 Jun
            • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen29 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen30 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl30 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen30 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen1 Jul
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen1 Jul
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKonstantin Osipov1 Jul
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKonstantin Osipov1 Jul
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen2 Jul
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKonstantin Osipov22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsRoy Lyseng22 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl23 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
            • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl23 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl30 Jun
            • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius24 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen25 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJonas Oreland25 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsDavi Arnaut25 Jun
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes25 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl25 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl30 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl25 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes27 Jun
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius30 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes27 Jun
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius1 Jul
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASEtypedefsSergei Golubchik22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASEtypedefsSergei Golubchik23 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsAlex Esterkin1 Jul