List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zardosht Kasheff Date:June 28 2009 3:00pm
Subject:Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458
View as plain text
What is this patch? Can you please give an example of how this patch would work?

Is this similar to the comment field in create index in 6.0?

Thanks
-Zardosht

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Michael Widenius<monty@stripped> wrote:

> hi!

> writes:
>
> Zardosht> Hello,
> Zardosht> This is a feature request that adds grammar for "clustering" indexes.
> Zardosht> Users can define an index to be clustering (include all of the columns
> Zardosht> in the index), and as a result, a flag is passed into the handler via
> Zardosht> a flag. It is up to the storage engine to properly implement it.
> Zardosht> Storage engines that choose to not implement it can simply ignore the
> Zardosht> flag.
>
> Zardosht> I am interested to hear feedback on this feature and patch. Here is the
> link:
>
> Zardosht> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=45458
>
> In MariaDB we have a patch that allows one to use a list of keywords
> for indexes and for the whole table.  These keywords will be passed to
> the engine so that it can take care of these that it knows about.
>
> MariaDB is maintaining these extra keywords and will ensure that they
> are kept around even if you do an ALTER TABLE back and from another
> engine that doesn't support the same keywords.
>
> This is a much better approach than having to add new code to support
> any possible keyword/option that an engine may want to support.
>
> Regards,
> Monty
>
> For information of MariaDB, the community developed server based on
> source code from MySQL, check out www.askmonty.org
>
> PS: I just checked and the patch is not yet pushed. I will talk with
>    Sanja tomorrow and ask what the status is and when he can push
>    this one.

Thread
feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff25 Jun
  • re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Michael Widenius28 Jun
    • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff28 Jun
    • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Brian Aker28 Jun
    • Re: [Maria-developers] feedback/review requested for fix to MySQLbug #45458Sergei Golubchik4 Jul
  • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Sergei Golubchik4 Jul
    • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Kristian Nielsen4 Jul
      • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff4 Jul
Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff3 Jul