List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 28 2009 2:31pm
Subject:re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458
View as plain text
hi!

>>>>> "Zardosht" == Zardosht Kasheff <zardosht@stripped> writes:

Zardosht> Hello,
Zardosht> This is a feature request that adds grammar for "clustering" indexes.
Zardosht> Users can define an index to be clustering (include all of the columns
Zardosht> in the index), and as a result, a flag is passed into the handler via
Zardosht> a flag. It is up to the storage engine to properly implement it.
Zardosht> Storage engines that choose to not implement it can simply ignore the
Zardosht> flag.

Zardosht> I am interested to hear feedback on this feature and patch. Here is the
> link:

Zardosht> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=45458

In MariaDB we have a patch that allows one to use a list of keywords
for indexes and for the whole table.  These keywords will be passed to
the engine so that it can take care of these that it knows about.

MariaDB is maintaining these extra keywords and will ensure that they
are kept around even if you do an ALTER TABLE back and from another
engine that doesn't support the same keywords.

This is a much better approach than having to add new code to support
any possible keyword/option that an engine may want to support.

Regards,
Monty

For information of MariaDB, the community developed server based on
source code from MySQL, check out www.askmonty.org

PS: I just checked and the patch is not yet pushed. I will talk with
    Sanja tomorrow and ask what the status is and when he can push
    this one.
Thread
feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff25 Jun
  • re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Michael Widenius28 Jun
    • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff28 Jun
    • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Brian Aker28 Jun
    • Re: [Maria-developers] feedback/review requested for fix to MySQLbug #45458Sergei Golubchik4 Jul
  • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Sergei Golubchik4 Jul
    • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Kristian Nielsen4 Jul
      • Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff4 Jul
Re: feedback/review requested for fix to MySQL bug #45458Zardosht Kasheff3 Jul