List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 27 2009 8:47am
Subject:Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefs
View as plain text
Hi!

<cut>

>> The benefit of this is:
>> - Easier to decide what to include
>> - Faster compile time for all compilers
>> - MUCH faster compile time for compilers that support precompiled
>> headers.
>> - Easier to handle header files with conditionals as you are less
>> likely to include these before all the required definitions are
>> defined.

Mats> I think a coding policy that optimizes for minimization of includes and compile
Mats> speed is not focusing on the right things.

Actually, it also gives you fewer errors and makes it easier to start
coding a new project file (this is from experience with the MySQL projects)

Mats> Also, for the current code, deciding what to include is not very easy since
Mats> header files are dependent on other header files being included before they are
Mats> included.

In most cases, one only have to include a few files (in many cases
just one) and there is lost of examples, so this isn't a big thing.

Allowing things to be included in any order, will force you to have
massive include directives in the include files and is an even worse
practice and harder to maintain.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen22 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius24 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen25 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl25 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes27 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen29 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl29 Jun
            • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen29 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen30 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl30 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen30 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen1 Jul
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen1 Jul
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKonstantin Osipov1 Jul
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKonstantin Osipov1 Jul
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen2 Jul
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKonstantin Osipov22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsRoy Lyseng22 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl23 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
            • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl23 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl30 Jun
            • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius24 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen25 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJonas Oreland25 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsDavi Arnaut25 Jun
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes25 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl25 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl30 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl25 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes27 Jun
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius30 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes27 Jun
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius1 Jul
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASEtypedefsSergei Golubchik22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASEtypedefsSergei Golubchik23 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsAlex Esterkin1 Jul