List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 24 2009 2:53pm
Subject:Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.
View as plain text
Hi!

Tor> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:01:32 +0200, Dmitry Lenev <dlenev@stripped> wrote:
>> Hello Tor!
>>
>> * Tor Didriksen <Tor.Didriksen@stripped> [09/06/22 17:55]:
>>> "function and method comments should be placed in front of
>>> implementation rather than declaration"
>>>
>>> I find it quite strange that member functions should be documented in
>>> the .cc file rather than the .h file, especially if these are public
>>> member functions (part of the public interface of the class).
>>
>> AFAIR one of the reasons behind current rule is that ctags/etags tool
>> which many of us use for navigating through the sources allows easily
>> jump to function definition. So by keeping function description nearby
>> its definition we are able to reach that comment from the place there
>> it is used with one key-stroke.
>>
>> I am not sure if the same thing can be easily achieved if the comments
>> will be placed nearby function declaration.
>>

Tor> I use tags as well, and it's fairly easy to jump to the next match.
Tor> In emacs it's M-. for the firts, then M-0-. for the next and so on.

Tor> Tags doesn't to any 'ranking', it just searches from the beginning
Tor> of the TAGS file. It's fairly easy to write a wrapper which sorts
Tor> .h files before .cc files.
Tor> That will give you better tags for classes/structs.
Tor> Another trick I've used in the past is to filter away forward declarations,
Tor> to avoid matching them at all.

The problem with the above is that when you code, you have to do much
more jumping while you examine the related code in other functions.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen22 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Jay Pipes22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Michael Widenius24 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.MARK CALLAGHAN24 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Manyi Lu - Sun Norway25 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen25 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Joerg Bruehe25 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.MARK CALLAGHAN23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov23 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Manyi Lu - Sun Norway23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov23 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Guilhem Bichot22 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Dmitry Lenev22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Dmitry Lenev23 Jun