List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Manyi Lu - Sun Norway Date:June 23 2009 9:58am
Subject:Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.
View as plain text
Konstantin Osipov wrote:
> * Tor Didriksen <Tor.Didriksen@stripped> [09/06/22 17:53]:
>
>> "function and method comments should be placed in front of
>> implementation rather than declaration"
>>
>> I find it quite strange that member functions should be documented in
>> the .cc file rather than the .h file, especially if these are public
>> member functions (part of the public interface of the class).
>>

> We had this discussion already, opinions got split back then.
>
> There were two major reasons to keep comments close to
> implementation:
>

> 1) This is how it was before we moved to doxygen, so we just
>    updated syntax of most comments without moving them around.
>    We try to preserve contingency of revision history when
>    possible.

Now that we have moved to doxygen, shouldn't the standard be adapted to
reflect that?
> 2) It was proclaimed back then that keeping comments closer to
>    implementation would make them easier to maintain.

I would expect it is easier to maintain comments describing the
interface if they are placed where the interface are declared. The same
applies to keeping comments related to implementation close to where the
implementations are.

I wonder when/how will the change requests proposed by Tor be handled in
the coding style committee?

Thanks.
Manyi

Thread
MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen22 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Jay Pipes22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Michael Widenius24 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.MARK CALLAGHAN24 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Manyi Lu - Sun Norway25 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen25 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Joerg Bruehe25 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.MARK CALLAGHAN23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov23 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Manyi Lu - Sun Norway23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov23 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Guilhem Bichot22 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Dmitry Lenev22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Dmitry Lenev23 Jun