List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tor Didriksen Date:June 23 2009 9:05am
Subject:Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefs
View as plain text
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:59:46 +0200, Sergei Golubchik <serg@stripped>
wrote:

> Hi, Tor!
>
> On Jun 22, Tor Didriksen wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> "Structure types are typedef'ed to an all-upper-case identifier."
>> Can someone explain the reasoning behind this?
>> ALL_UPPERCASE_NAME says DANGEROUS_THIS_IS_A_MACRO to me, rather than
>> struct/class.
>>
>> typedef struct foo { ... } FOO;
>> Is legacy C-style, and does not belong in a C++ style guide (imho).
>
> MySQL isn't all C++.
>
> What about the reasoning of avoiding two completely different coding
> styles in different parts of the server ?
>
> Regards / Mit vielen Grüßen,
> Sergei

Hi Sergei

I hope we can move to a situation where we write classes instead of
structs.
By that I mean, well defined constructors/destructors, public/private
sections,
no public member variables, etc. etc.

If the C part of the codebase still need the typedefs, then let's just
leave them there.

-- didrik

Thread
MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen22 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius24 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen25 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl25 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes27 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen29 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl29 Jun
            • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen29 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen30 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl30 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen30 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen1 Jul
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen1 Jul
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKonstantin Osipov1 Jul
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKonstantin Osipov1 Jul
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKristian Nielsen2 Jul
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsKonstantin Osipov22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsRoy Lyseng22 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl23 Jun
          • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
            • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl23 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl30 Jun
            • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius24 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen25 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJonas Oreland25 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsDavi Arnaut25 Jun
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes25 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl25 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl30 Jun
              • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMats Kindahl25 Jun
                • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius27 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes27 Jun
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius30 Jun
                  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsJay Pipes27 Jun
                    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsMichael Widenius1 Jul
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASEtypedefsSergei Golubchik22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASEtypedefsSergei Golubchik23 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsTor Didriksen23 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for deprecation of UPPERCASE typedefsAlex Esterkin1 Jul