List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tor Didriksen Date:June 23 2009 8:55am
Subject:Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.
View as plain text
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:01:32 +0200, Dmitry Lenev <dlenev@stripped> wrote:

> Hello Tor!
>
> * Tor Didriksen <Tor.Didriksen@stripped> [09/06/22 17:55]:
>> "function and method comments should be placed in front of
>> implementation rather than declaration"
>>
>> I find it quite strange that member functions should be documented in
>> the .cc file rather than the .h file, especially if these are public
>> member functions (part of the public interface of the class).
>
> AFAIR one of the reasons behind current rule is that ctags/etags tool
> which many of us use for navigating through the sources allows easily
> jump to function definition. So by keeping function description nearby
> its definition we are able to reach that comment from the place there
> it is used with one key-stroke.
>
> I am not sure if the same thing can be easily achieved if the comments
> will be placed nearby function declaration.

I use tags as well, and it's fairly easy to jump to the next match.
In emacs it's M-. for the firts, then M-0-. for the next and so on.

Tags doesn't to any 'ranking', it just searches from the beginning
of the TAGS file. It's fairly easy to write a wrapper which sorts
.h files before .cc files.
That will give you better tags for classes/structs.
Another trick I've used in the past is to filter away forward declarations,
to avoid matching them at all.

-- didrik

Thread
MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen22 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Jay Pipes22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Michael Widenius24 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.MARK CALLAGHAN24 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Manyi Lu - Sun Norway25 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen25 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Joerg Bruehe25 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.MARK CALLAGHAN23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov23 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Manyi Lu - Sun Norway23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov23 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Guilhem Bichot22 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Dmitry Lenev22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Dmitry Lenev23 Jun