List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dmitry Lenev Date:June 22 2009 5:01pm
Subject:Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.
View as plain text
Hello Tor!

* Tor Didriksen <Tor.Didriksen@stripped> [09/06/22 17:55]:
> "function and method comments should be placed in front of
> implementation rather than declaration"
>
> I find it quite strange that member functions should be documented in
> the .cc file rather than the .h file, especially if these are public
> member functions (part of the public interface of the class).

AFAIR one of the reasons behind current rule is that ctags/etags tool
which many of us use for navigating through the sources allows easily
jump to function definition. So by keeping function description nearby
its definition we are able to reach that comment from the place there
it is used with one key-stroke.

I am not sure if the same thing can be easily achieved if the comments
will be placed nearby function declaration.

--
Dmitry Lenev, Software Developer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Are you MySQL certified?  http://www.mysql.com/certification
Thread
MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen22 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Jay Pipes22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Michael Widenius24 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.MARK CALLAGHAN24 Jun
        • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Manyi Lu - Sun Norway25 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen25 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Joerg Bruehe25 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.MARK CALLAGHAN23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov23 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Manyi Lu - Sun Norway23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Konstantin Osipov23 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Guilhem Bichot22 Jun
  • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Dmitry Lenev22 Jun
    • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Tor Didriksen23 Jun
      • Re: MySql coding style: Request for change regarding documentation.Dmitry Lenev23 Jun