List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kristian Nielsen Date:June 11 2009 9:13am
Subject:Re: trailing space in column name
View as plain text
Joerg Bruehe <Joerg.Bruehe@stripped> writes:

> Kristian Nielsen wrote:
>> In any case, I think this should be considered a bug (if a documented one
>> :-). If I can create a table/column ` t` or `t t`, there is no reason I should
>> not be able to create also `t `.
>
> IMHO, there is no real need to have blanks in table names or any other
> identifiers (and the same holds for file names, BTW).

Very true.

> I don't have the reference handy, so I can't quote verbatim, but I do
> remember that the X/Open standard for SQL specifies something like
>   "All character strings are comparable.
>    If character strings are of different length, then the shorter one is
>    conceptually padded with blanks at the end before comparison."
>
> This exactly means that "X" == "X ", for any "X".

I see, I did not know that, thanks for the info!

 - Kristian.
Thread
trailing space in column nameZhixuan Zhu9 Jun
  • Re: trailing space in column nameIngo Strüwing9 Jun
    • RE: trailing space in column nameZhixuan Zhu9 Jun
      • RE: trailing space in column nameRick James9 Jun
        • RE: trailing space in column nameZhixuan Zhu9 Jun
          • RE: trailing space in column nameRick James9 Jun
            • RE: trailing space in column nameZhixuan Zhu9 Jun
  • Re: trailing space in column namePaul DuBois10 Jun
    • Re: trailing space in column nameKristian Nielsen11 Jun
      • Re: trailing space in column nameJoerg Bruehe11 Jun
        • Re: trailing space in column nameKristian Nielsen11 Jun
        • Re: trailing space in column nameRoy Lyseng11 Jun
  • Re: trailing space in column nameSergei Golubchik20 Jun