List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Slava Akhmechet Date:June 4 2009 8:58pm
Subject:Re: Profiling a storage engine
View as plain text
Mark,

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:01 PM, MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag@stripped> wrote:
> I have never had any luck using gprof on multi-threaded servers. If
> you use Linux, then oProfile works great for flat profiles and Google
> perftools works great for hierarchical profiles.
Thanks for your reply. We're interested in understanding how much time
is spent in each part of our code. oProfile is great, but it mostly
gives information for CPU bound applications. Unfortunately it's not
very useful when you need to understand IO blocking behavior.

We're tracking IO/CPU/page cache statistics as we're running
benchmarks. This gives us a reasonably complete picture, but it still
forced us to take too many guesses. We're curious how others profile
storage engines - we have bits and pieces of information on
performance, but integrating it into a complete picture still involves
too much guesswork.
Thread
Profiling a storage engineSlava Akhmechet4 Jun
  • Re: Profiling a storage engineMARK CALLAGHAN4 Jun
    • Re: Profiling a storage engineSlava Akhmechet5 Jun
      • Re: Profiling a storage engineMARK CALLAGHAN5 Jun
    • Re: Profiling a storage engineMichael Widenius5 Jun
      • Re: Profiling a storage engineMARK CALLAGHAN5 Jun
        • Re: Profiling a storage engineMichael Widenius5 Jun
  • Re: Profiling a storage engineAntony Dovgal5 Jun
  • Re: Profiling a storage engineMarc Alff5 Jun
    • Re: Profiling a storage engineSlava Akhmechet8 Jun