List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mikiya Okuno Date:May 17 2009 10:57pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Reengineering Project
View as plain text
Hi,

Does this include a large pages support?

I encountered a problem that the performance went down when several mega bytes were
assigned for each read buffer, read rnd buffer and sort buffer on a Nocona system. I
suspect that many TLB cache miss were happening at that time. Currently, MySQL only
supports large pages for InnoDB. If MySQL will have a slab allocator which supports large
pages like memcached, the performance will improve due to less TLB cache miss, won't it?

Kind regards,
--
Mikiya Okuno, MySQL Support Engineer
Sun Microsystems KK, Tokyo, Japan

On 12/05/2009, at 5:37 PM, Manyi Lu - Sun Norway wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Starting from January 2009, we have started a reengineering effort in MySQL server
> group. It is a long term effort aimed at improving the modularity of the code base, reduce
> the number of bugs introduced with new features, and provide a pluggable architecture that
> makes it easier for third parties as well as MySQL to implement plugins. The project just
> found its home on Forge: http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/Refactoring_MySQL. Information
> regarding roadmap, architecture improvements and more will be added as we move forward.
>
> We want to make the project as transparent as possible, and would like invite the
> community to participate! Starting from the coming days and weeks, technical discussions
> regarding reengineering will take place on this mailing list. We anticipate your valuable
> input!
>

> Regards,
> Manyi Lu
> Senior Manager
> MySQL Engineering

MySQL Reengineering ProjectManyi Lu - Sun Norway12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMARK CALLAGHAN12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectManyi Lu - Sun Norway12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectStewart Smith13 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMikiya Okuno18 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik18 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectRoy Lyseng18 May
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik12 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectDavi Arnaut13 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin13 May
                • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes13 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius14 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJonas Oreland13 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectRoy Lyseng12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius14 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym15 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectKristian Nielsen15 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker15 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym15 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius6 Jun
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMasood Mortazavi13 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker13 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin13 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBaron Schwartz13 May