List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergei Golubchik Date:May 14 2009 4:23pm
Subject:Re: Handling of keypart_map in custom storage engine
View as plain text
Hi, MARK!

On May 14, MARK CALLAGHAN wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Sergei Golubchik <serg@stripped> wrote:
> > On May 13, Vyacheslav Akhmechet wrote:
> >>
> >> Suppose a given key has two parts, A and B, and I build an index on
> >> this key (by combining A and B in lexicographic order, or a similar
> >> technique). Now, suppose index_read is called, and part A is missing
> >> from the key. In this case the index is essentially useless - I need
> >> to do a full table scan. I don't see how one could implement an index
> >> to get around this.
> >>
> >> Am I misunderstanding the purpose/semantics of keypart_map?
> >
> > No, you are not. Btree indexes, indeed, cannot support this feature.
> > Bitmap indexes, I presume, can.
>
> Btrees can and do support index scans in this case. Check out index
> skip scan in Oracle.
> http://www.google.com/search?q=index+skip+scan

Yes, right.
In btree you can do an index scan, but it won't be a range as with a
prefix key.

Thanks for correcting me.

Regards / Mit vielen Grüßen,
Sergei

--
Handling of keypart_map in custom storage engineVyacheslav Akhmechet14 May
      • Re: Handling of keypart_map in custom storage engineSergei Golubchik14 May
        • Re: Handling of keypart_map in custom storage engineMARK CALLAGHAN14 May
          • Re: Handling of keypart_map in custom storage engineVyacheslav Akhmechet15 May
          • Re: Handling of keypart_map in custom storage engineSergei Golubchik15 May
          • Re: Handling of keypart_map in custom storage engineMichael Widenius5 Jun