List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Davi Arnaut Date:May 12 2009 11:30pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Reengineering Project
View as plain text
On 5/12/09 5:58 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:

>>> No he means what he is saying. I don't know why you would want a
>>> statement shared across multiple THD, but having a THD be able to
>>> handle multiple statements means that you can do asynchronous queries
>>> within a single connection.
>>
>> Ah, okay. I see.
>>
>> I thought that "parallelization", that Jay mentioned, means executing
>> parts of a single statement in different threads - which, indeed, may
>> need two THDs sharing the same Statement.
>
> Yes, what Brian says...once the THD is distinguised from a pthread,
> intra-statement parallelization is possible. We've only just begun this
> step in Drizzle (a Session is now no longer intricately linked to a
> pthread in Drizzle) but there's clearly a ton more to do. :) I know Alex
> Esterkin thinks there is no reason to do such as thing, but perhaps he
> just needs an example :)
>
> Imagine a Session which sends a few long-running SELECTs in the same
> client connection. Currently, because the THD is linked to a single
> pthread in MySQL, these SELECTs will not only block each other, but will
> be executed in order. What if there was no reason to do so? The three
> Statements, if a Session contained a vector of Statement objects, could
> parse and optimize all three statements and decide to send two of them
> off to other scheduler threads for execution, essentially parallelizing
> the operation (particularly on a distributed node architecture...)

Jay,

What are the advantages of this schema over making a session as
lightweight as possible and the user using multiple sessions? The latter
seems less complicated and could yield better parallelism if the right
cards are played within the server.

Davi
Thread
MySQL Reengineering ProjectManyi Lu - Sun Norway12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMARK CALLAGHAN12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectManyi Lu - Sun Norway12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectStewart Smith13 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMikiya Okuno18 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik18 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectRoy Lyseng18 May
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik12 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectDavi Arnaut13 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin13 May
                • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes13 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius14 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJonas Oreland13 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectRoy Lyseng12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius14 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym15 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectKristian Nielsen15 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker15 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym15 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius6 Jun
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMasood Mortazavi13 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker13 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin13 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBaron Schwartz13 May