List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Manyi Lu - Sun Norway Date:May 12 2009 2:53pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Reengineering Project
View as plain text
Mats Kindahl wrote:
> MARK CALLAGHAN wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:37 AM, Manyi Lu - Sun Norway <Manyi.Lu@stripped>
> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Starting from January 2009, we have started a reengineering effort in MySQL
>>> server group. It is a long term effort aimed at improving the modularity of
>>> the code base, reduce the number of bugs introduced with new features, and
>>> provide a pluggable architecture that makes it easier for third parties as
>>> well as MySQL to implement plugins. The project just found its home on
>>> Forge: http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/Refactoring_MySQL. Information regarding
>>> roadmap, architecture improvements and more will be added as we move
>>> forward.
>>>
>>> We want to make the project as transparent as possible, and would like
>>> invite the community to participate! Starting from the coming days and
>>> weeks, technical discussions regarding reengineering will take place on this
>>> mailing list. We anticipate your valuable input!
>>>
>> Hooray!
>>
>> Can you add low-level tasks to this as well? For example, reducing or
>> eliminating compiler warnings is something that someone in the
>> community can get done. It doesn't require extensive knowledge of the
>> server and it doesn't have to get done in one change.
>>

> It has been considered, yes.

Community contributions are certainly welcome!
>> What is the main development branch in launchpad?
>>

> We don't have one yet, since we have no complete patches. We are in the process
> of creating a base branch that will be published on launchpad.

We are in the process of moving to the new release model explained here:
http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/Development_Cycle. As part of this effort, a
trunk will be created based on code from the 5.4(summit) branch and the
6.0 branch. Once the trunk is created, it will be made available on
launchpad.

The reengineering work will be pushed into the trunk as the worklogs get
completed.

Manyi
Thread
MySQL Reengineering ProjectManyi Lu - Sun Norway12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMARK CALLAGHAN12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectManyi Lu - Sun Norway12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectStewart Smith13 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMikiya Okuno18 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik18 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectRoy Lyseng18 May
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik12 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectDavi Arnaut13 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin13 May
                • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes13 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius14 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJonas Oreland13 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectRoy Lyseng12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius14 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym15 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectKristian Nielsen15 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker15 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym15 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius6 Jun
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMasood Mortazavi13 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker13 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin13 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBaron Schwartz13 May