List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mats Kindahl Date:May 12 2009 2:09pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Reengineering Project
View as plain text

MARK CALLAGHAN wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:37 AM, Manyi Lu - Sun Norway <Manyi.Lu@stripped>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Starting from January 2009, we have started a reengineering effort in MySQL
>> server group. It is a long term effort aimed at improving the modularity of
>> the code base, reduce the number of bugs introduced with new features, and
>> provide a pluggable architecture that makes it easier for third parties as
>> well as MySQL to implement plugins. The project just found its home on
>> Forge: http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/Refactoring_MySQL. Information regarding
>> roadmap, architecture improvements and more will be added as we move
>> forward.
>>
>> We want to make the project as transparent as possible, and would like
>> invite the community to participate! Starting from the coming days and
>> weeks, technical discussions regarding reengineering will take place on this
>> mailing list. We anticipate your valuable input!
>
> Hooray!
>
> Can you add low-level tasks to this as well? For example, reducing or
> eliminating compiler warnings is something that someone in the
> community can get done. It doesn't require extensive knowledge of the
> server and it doesn't have to get done in one change.

It has been considered, yes.

> What is the main development branch in launchpad?

We don't have one yet, since we have no complete patches. We are in the process
of creating a base branch that will be published on launchpad.

Best wishes,
Mats Kindahl

--
Mats Kindahl
Senior Software Engineer
Database Technology Group
Sun Microsystems
Thread
MySQL Reengineering ProjectManyi Lu - Sun Norway12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMARK CALLAGHAN12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectManyi Lu - Sun Norway12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectStewart Smith13 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMikiya Okuno18 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik18 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectRoy Lyseng18 May
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik12 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectSergei Golubchik12 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker12 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes12 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectDavi Arnaut13 May
              • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin13 May
                • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJay Pipes13 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius14 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectJonas Oreland13 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectRoy Lyseng12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius14 May
        • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym15 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectKristian Nielsen15 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker15 May
            • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlaric Snell-Pym15 May
          • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMichael Widenius6 Jun
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMats Kindahl12 May
Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin12 May
  • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectMasood Mortazavi13 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBrian Aker13 May
    • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectAlex Esterkin13 May
      • Re: MySQL Reengineering ProjectBaron Schwartz13 May