List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brian Aker Date:April 30 2009 7:53pm
Subject:Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQL
View as plain text
FWIW this is what we have moved toward in Drizzle.

Cheers,
    --Brian

On Apr 30, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Davi Arnaut <Davi.Arnaut@stripped> wrote:

> On 4/30/09 3:17 PM, MARK CALLAGHAN wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Michael
>> Widenius<monty@stripped>  wrote:
>>> Hi again!

> writes:
>>> <cut>
>>>
>>> MARK>  It would help if there were a document on the developer
>>> wiki page that
>>> MARK>  stated this.
>>>
>>> http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/MySQL_Internals_How_to_allocate_memory
>>
>> Is there any chance we can get a per THD MEM_ROOT? There is not one
>> today so allocations for Security_context use the global pool
>> (malloc)
>> and then there is a need for Security_context::destroy. For the roles
>> support I have added I want to assign a string to
>> Security_context::priv_user that may require deallocation. It is
>> tricky to remember when that may be done because empty constant
>> strings are assigned to it ("") and non-empty constant strings are
>> assigned to it ("DELAYED" for delayed inserts). The current behavior
>> for priv_user is that it never requires deallocation.
>>
>> I will probably solve my problem by adding a buffer into
>> Security_context and using that buffer so I can avoid allocation.
>>

> The problem with yet another thd mem_root is defining it's lifetime,
> it can get hairy quite easy. Wouldn't it be better to be able to
> attach private data to a THD? This way a plugin (or anything else)
> can create its own mem_root and structures, attach it to a THD and
> retrieve it later when needed. I can scratch a proof of concept if
> it sounds okay..

memory allocation architecture in MySQLMARK CALLAGHAN17 Oct
  • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLMARK CALLAGHAN17 Oct
  • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLDavi Arnaut17 Oct
    • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLMichael Widenius31 Oct
      • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLMARK CALLAGHAN31 Oct
        • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLMichael Widenius31 Oct
        • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLMichael Widenius31 Oct
          • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLMARK CALLAGHAN30 Apr
            • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLDavi Arnaut30 Apr
              • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLBrian Aker30 Apr
              • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLSergei Golubchik30 Apr
                • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLDavi Arnaut30 Apr