List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:MARK CALLAGHAN Date:April 30 2009 6:17pm
Subject:Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQL
View as plain text
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Michael Widenius <monty@stripped> wrote:

> Hi again!

> <cut>
>
> MARK> It would help if there were a document on the developer wiki page that
> MARK> stated this.
>
> http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/MySQL_Internals_How_to_allocate_memory

Is there any chance we can get a per THD MEM_ROOT? There is not one
today so allocations for Security_context use the global pool (malloc)
and then there is a need for Security_context::destroy. For the roles
support I have added I want to assign a string to
Security_context::priv_user that may require deallocation. It is
tricky to remember when that may be done because empty constant
strings are assigned to it ("") and non-empty constant strings are
assigned to it ("DELAYED" for delayed inserts). The current behavior
for priv_user is that it never requires deallocation.

I will probably solve my problem by adding a buffer into
Security_context and using that buffer so I can avoid allocation.

--
Mark Callaghan
mdcallag@stripped
        • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLMichael Widenius31 Oct
        • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLMichael Widenius31 Oct
          • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLMARK CALLAGHAN30 Apr
            • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLDavi Arnaut30 Apr
              • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLBrian Aker30 Apr
              • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLSergei Golubchik30 Apr
                • Re: memory allocation architecture in MySQLDavi Arnaut30 Apr