List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:April 16 2009 12:52am
Subject:Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasename
View as plain text
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Kay Röpke <kroepke@stripped> wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2009, at 1:10 AM, Eric Bergen wrote:
>
>> I think wireshark (formerly ethereal) speaks mysql protocol. It may be
>> easier to use that than to write a custom parser for mysql binary
>> protocol.
>

> Definitely. IIRC wireshark can import pcap files and it's much nicer to look
> at than tcpdump output.
> Also, as you point out, it's much easier to use than writing yet another
> protocol implementation.

I've been looking at it.  It is very useful indeed, but doesn't quite
suit my needs for a few different reasons.

Alas :-)  But hey, what a great debugging tool!  It is fantastic.

But more salient -- I need statefulness.  What I've written myself
watches for a response, and when it finds it, goes back and looks for
the request that caused it.  Now I can find timestamp differences, etc
-- so I can get query timing.  The statefulness is the hardest part of
this so far (other than some stupid obvious bug I wrote and had to get
Andrew Aksyonoff's help finding).  But I am also painfully aware that
what I've done is just the easy part, and a lot of real world needs
will call for oh, things like understanding compressed protocol or
assembling queries from COM_EXECUTE, for example.

> Baron, please also have a look at the stuff in MySQL Proxy. It contains a
> rather complete protocol encoder/decoder
> and is GPL, too.
> Both Jan and me are interested to put the individual parts of proxy to other
> uses.
>
> Grab us at the conference if your are interested, too.

Definitely.  Let's talk.  Can we pick a time?  I'm coming in on Monday
mid-morning and leaving Saturday.  Mail me off-list if you know your
calendar well enough to pick a specific time.  I think I will also
talk with Eric Day about libdrizzle.

Proxy itself, as cool as it is, has the disadvantage of being the
traffic cop, not just an innocent bystander.  I need a bystander.

Somewhere here, we're really close -- we need to pick a little of this
and that, and we'll have something good going on.

The scary thing is, I might be getting close to writing some C or
something.  Run for your lives!
Thread
Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz12 Apr
  • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameEric Day12 Apr
    • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz12 Apr
      • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz12 Apr
        • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameEric Day12 Apr
          • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz12 Apr
          • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz12 Apr
            • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameEric Bergen13 Apr
              • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameKay Röpke14 Apr
                • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz16 Apr
            • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameKristian Nielsen13 Apr
            • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameMichael Widenius13 Apr
  • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameKonstantin Osipov13 Apr